Tuesday, August 2, 2011

more fun with re-inkers

I know I've said it before but I love re-inkers. You can do so much with them, so many different looks, and if you ever do get bored of trying new techniques you can always use them for what they were originally intended, to re-ink your ink pads and markers. I'm not sure this technique has a real name but I call it rubber resist. You use rubber cement to create a pattern, and after the first layer dries you rub over it with color from a sponge. I like to use yogurt lids and place a couple of drops of re-inker on it, then pick up the ink with a sponge. Always start with the lightest color fist. As soon as the ink is dry (only a minute or two) you can create a 2nd layer with the rubber cement, then let it dry (this usually takes at least 20 mins) and repeat until you have a pattern you like.

Here I used Tempting Turquoise then Pacific Point, and finally Night of Navy.

Stamps: Bugs and Kisses (retired)
Inks: Tempting Turquoise, Pacific Point, Night of Navy
Paper: Night of Navy, Pacific Point, Whisper White
Misc: Gingham Ribbon, Dimensionals

I have a ton more projects that use re-inkers and a few more with this technique, so I'll be posting those in the coming days. I hope you aren't sick of re-inkers by then, maybe you'll even be inspired to try some of them yourself. One quick tip, if you are a messy stamper like I am normally, use a pair of vinyl gloves, your fingers will thank you.



1 comment:

Patti said...

Very unique technique. I really like the design you came up with; great blues.